- A fraction is a number that is written in the form:
- The a is the numerator, and the b is the denominator.
- The line separating the numerator and denominator is a fraction bar.
- Fractions are used when representing numbers that describe the parts of a whole. The fraction a/b also can be read as "a out of b" ,"a over b" or "a divided by b."
- Both a and b must be integers, meaning positive and negative whole numbers.
- The denominator, or b, cannot be zero. This is because one cannot divide by zero.
If there are 18 students in a classroom, and 6 of the students wear glasses, what fraction of the students wear glasses?
- A fraction can be thought of as "a out of b."
- Total number of students is 18.
- Number of students with glasses is 6.
- Number of students with glasses out of the whole class is 6/18.